Thursday, March 29, 2012

Local Legend

Today's post is dedicated to Dan Burns, a man I'm proud to call my friend. He is a master fabricator and welder by trade, but has also accomplished some impressive racing feats in his day. A true original crusty old fart with a heart of gold (he takes care of all the stray kitties that wander thru the welding shop's door.)

 First pic is of Dan on his Norton that he won the National Championship on in 1963. He was 21 years old.
 I think the class was 650cc.  He told me the plaque he's holding is equivalent to a Wally today. 

Second pic is of his National Champ Dirt Drag rail from the 1970's. I'm not sure about the distance, but I think he said 400 ft in 3.84 seconds at 147 MPH with roostertails over the Sun! Badass. 

One of the best compliments I ever got was when he came by the shop as I was building my Sidehack for the KZ1000 and he gave me an emphatic "Cool!" Coming from someone who has done and made so much cool shit in his lifetime, this was all the compliment I needed. 

Thanks for helping me on many projects over the years Dan. 

RESPECT

No comments:

Post a Comment